Monday 30 May 2011

Cochylis sp

This is the possible Cochylis molliculana. Sorry about the poor photo, but daylight is short supply, and I'm reluctant to let it out of the tube in case I spend half the night chasing it round the house!

Having looked at it in a bit more detail this afternoon, the colouration of the head and thorax(orangey brown) ruled out both C atricapitana and C hybridella for me, which are dark and whitish respectively. That leaves C molliculana as the likely candidate unless I have gone badly off the rails!

Would be good to hear what you think Dave. Let me know if you want me to get the specimen to you.

4 comments:

  1. It does look good for molliculana - please send me the specimen - I'll email you with details for safe passage through the postal system!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave - I may be coming into cardiff later today, so could drop it off with you directly if that's any easier?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that's easier! I've got to do my butterfly transect round Bute park today (usually 12:30 - 14:00), but will be in the office all day otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should be able to get to you before 12.30 with a bit of luck. See you later.

    ReplyDelete